Second Site News #050
15 April 2012
Second Site Version 4.2 Released
This release includes several new features and other enhancements and bug fixes.
- The Search User Item creates a search form on a Custom Page. The form provides input fields visitors can use to search for people on the site. The form uses a script that executes in the visitor's browser and does not depend on any remote server, so it will work with sites published on the web and sites published on removable media such as CDs, DVDs, and flash drives.
The search is fast, and it supports some flexible search parameters, like the ability to search for people based on the names of their spouse(s) or parent(s). You can search by location, and by birth year or death year. You can also search for parents and spouses whose names are shown on the site, but who are not included as members of the site.
- The new One Person Script property adds a script to each person page to make a site for multiple people per page operate similarly to a site configured for one person per page.
- The new Find Item... button in the User Items section searches User Item titles and returns a list of matching items. You can edit the items via the result list using F7, and leave the list visible while you work in the main window.
- The Item List properties (User Items, Tag Groups (now Person Entry Sections), Flag Events, Icon Flags, and Web Fonts); now use a list that expands to fill the content pane of the main window. This should help users with many User Items, long User Item titles, etc.
Please see the Change Log for a description of the other changes.
Thanks, as always, to the Second Site beta testers. Special thanks to the following people who translated text used by the Search feature.
- Danish: Michael Erichsen
- Dutch: Harry Goegebeur
- French: Ron Chénier
- German: Vera Nagel
- Italian: Judith Mooney
- Norwegian: Arnt Stavne
- Portuguese: Rita van Zeller
Download and Install
All existing Second Site 4 customers should download this free upgrade via the Downloads page. When you install the latest version, you will not lose any SDF files or sites you made with any previous version of Second Site 4.
If you install this version of Second Site 4 on a PC that had a previous version of Second Site 4 installed, you will not need your registration information.
For customers of prior versions...
- Customers with a valid Second Site 3 license may purchase the Second Site 4 Upgrade for $9.95 USD. Make sure you have your Version 3 serial number handy; you'll need it to purchase the upgrade.
- Only customers with a valid Second Site 3 license qualify for an upgrade. If you have a Second Site 1 or Second Site 2 license, but you did not purchase Second Site 3, you must purchase the full Second Site 4 product for $29.95 USD.
- The install program is the same for both the full version and the upgrade version.
This page last changed on 17 Feb 2013.