Second Site News #005
14 December 2002
Second Site Version 1.2 (Build 9) Released
The latest release of Second Site has the following new features:
- Includes new Side by Side Theme
- Supports international datasets and projects
All existing customers can download this free upgrade here. If you are a registered Second Site user and the About Second Site window (Help > About command) does not show the same version number and build number as above, I recommend that you download this new version and install it. You will not lose any SDF files or sites you have already made.
If you uninstall and reinstall, which is recommended, you may have to enter your registration information again. Make sure you have that information on hand before you uninstall.
More about the new features
Note The information in this section is out of date. Second Site 2 creates Side by Side framed sites using a different method. See the Layouts Section.
- Second Site now includes a Theme named Side by Side. The Theme was inspired by Second Site beta tester Donald Schulteis. Donald coaxed Second Site into making a site with index data in a frame on the left, and person pages in a frame on the right. This reduced the number of clicks necessary to browse through a series of names in the index. Donald's site worked well, but creating the site involved considerable manual effort due to some technical hurdles. Those hurdles have been removed, and as of this release, it is as easy to create a Side by Side site as it is to create any other Theme.
- Second Site now supports international datasets and projects. Two new features were required.
- The Data.Language.Sentence Language property controls which sentence Second Site uses in the narrative.
- Defaults files set the Strings and other properties to appropriate values for international sites. Defaults files are collections of stored properties that define the initial values of properties in the SDF file. The impetus for Defaults files was to allow international users to select default values that have been translated to the appropriate language, but any user who wants to create multiple sites with very similar property settings may create a custom Defaults file.
Second Site includes Defaults files for Dutch, Norwegian, and German. I'd like to thank Harry Goegebeur (Dutch), Leif Kristensen (Norwegian), and Juergen Drees (German), for the translations. Harry, Leif, and Juergen joined the beta tester team to focus on internationalization issues. I look forward to working with other international users to develop Defaults files for other languages. If you would like to volunteer your assistance, please send me an e-mail.
Note that while Second Site will produce HTML pages in a variety of languages, the user interface is limited to English. Please see the International Sites page for other factors of interest to international users.
The other changes and additions are described in the Second Site Change Log.
Example Sites Still Wanted
If you are proud of the web site you have created with Second Site, and you have published it on the web, please send me the URL. I'll include it on the Example Sites page on the Second Site home page.
If your site is destined to remain on CD only, and if you have an extra copy or two, send one my way. I'm interested in all Second Sites, public and private!
This version is dedicated to my father, Russ Cardinal, who died 25 years ago today.
This page last changed on 27 Nov 2013.